To some people it is just second nature. To others it is their main nature. A carnal beast lurking around your mind, scouting the first available opportunity to tear into your brain and emotions with the utmost furiosity.
This is the challenge of the individual that seeks a positive lifestyle, and like Jeffrey Gitomer says, “A YES attitude!” The challenge is to stay positive in a negative world. Let us look at a few reason why people become negative.
- They were raised in a negative household and never broke the curse.
- They aren’t fulfilling their dreams, so they knock you for yours.
- They aren’t happy with themselves. If they can’t be happy neither will you.
- They live in a comfort zone, and if you disturb it, then they will disturb you.
- They have tunnel vision. If you have different ideas, they will stamp them out.
Turn on the evening news, go to a town hall, visit the average church, view your Facebook, or look at your job and those you work with and you will find this world is reeling from a cataclysmic burst of negativity.
Allow me to give you a few ways to handle negativity:
1. Accept The Challenge
When I come across negative people, the temptation is to be negative back. But on the contrary we should use this as an opportunity to inject positiveness into someones life. Your life is surrounded by negative people, and when you are outnumbered the best thing to do is overcome it by remaining positive.
It takes lots of discipline to remain positive. Your patience will be tested, you attitude will be checked, and it definitely will challenge you. But accept the challenge, because you can make a difference in others.
I had a boss once that told me, when a customer pulls on the drive, and they ask how you are, you look them in the eyes, smile, and say, “The best you have ever seen!” So I accepted the challenge and I made it my purpose to say it every time, and customers jaws would drop, they couldn’t believe that someone was so happy. I have built a lot of friendships and loyal customers simply from being positive.
Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them.
Another thing you need is dedication to the challenge. Make up you mind each and every day that no matter what negativity you encounter you will remain positive. When we do an act everyday, consistently, and on purpose it eventually becomes a lifestyle, and it will be something you do not have to think about, it will be something that you are.
Finally, you need determination. It is hard to stop a determined person. Just as much as some are determine to derail your positive lifestyle, so must you be determined to curtail your negativity into positive energy.
Make it a point right now to take the challenge of creating a positive lifestyle.
2. Build A Power Group
Building a power group is very important to sustaining high performance and goal setting. There is power and solace when you meet or speak with those in your inner circle. What is a power group?
- A like-minded group of individuals with the same goals and same passions.
- An oasis in the desert when you need encouragement.
- Those that can grow you and help mature you.
- Mentors that expand your mind and horizons.
What does this have to do with dealing with negativity? Everything!
Remember this, “you become like those you hang out with.”
-Someone with common sense
This is something I am passionate about. I observe people that have a constant negative worldview and I look at who they are congregating with and I am absolutely convinced that negativity begets negativity.
Now for the sake of humanity, be friendly to everyone and never critical, but for the sake of your mental and spiritual well being, gather with those that build you up rather than tear you down.
Where are these negative people?
- Social networks
- Fringe friendships
It is important to identify where these negative people prowl, and then develop rules of engagement. In other words, you set parameters on how much contact you will allow yourself with these individuals. I’m not speaking of isolation but rather insulation. Protect your attitude like a mother protects her helpless child from a giant grizzly!
Having a power group is a great way of accomplishing this. *WARNING* Do not choose people that will always agree or just make you feel good and fluffy. Choose a diverse team that will challenge you, inspire you, correct you, encourage you, teach you, then watch your attitude and lifestyle sore through the sky!
3. Saturate Your Mind and Spirit
Leadership maxes out your resources on a consistent basis. Your energy, emotions, and your spirit will be drastically tested to their limits. Many leaders have good motives and strive to put everything they have into their cause, but are left with an empty tank and running on fumes.
Without pumping positive things into your mind and soul you will become critical, burned out, grouchy, depressed, and left with low physical energy.
Here are some things you can do to saturate your mind and spirit:
- Read good books– Bible, Self-help books, good positive novels, anything John C. Maxwell, anything Jeffery Gitomer, anything Zig-Ziglar, anything Norman Vincent-Peale, anything “Chicken Soup For The Soul” -Jack Canfield. So many more books, you can look them up and see which one interests you.
- Sign up for a YouTube account, Pandora, and other popular apps to download popular speakers, encouraging music, funny videos. Hook it up to you speakers in your car, carry your earbuds everywhere you go, and saturate your mind every chance you get.
- Do not live on social media– Social media can be a blessing and a curse. Use it to build others up not to air out your dirty laundry. That’s all I want to say there.
- Start everyday off right– Prayer/meditation, reading, and breakfast to fuel your day.
I will repeat myself intentionally, make being positive a lifestyle! You will do this by saturating your mind and soul.
Build up your life, throw away the trash, help others, strive for your goals, don’t let anything stop you, push away and repel negativity, smile more, laugh more, live more, vacation more, have fun, enjoy life, don’t be all business, chill sometimes, and just enjoy the journey.
Get your journal out and write some steps your going to take to begin and maintain a positive lifestyle. I would love to hear back from you to see what you came up with. God Bless you!